City Council unanimously adopted the home energy score ordinance Portland City Code Chapter 17.108 on December 14, 2016. The City of Portland Home Energy Score program will begin on January 1, 2018. The ordinance requires sellers of single-family homes to:
- Obtain a home energy report, including a home energy score, from a licensed home energy assessor;
- Disclose the score and the report prior to listing a home publicly for sale in Portland on or after January 1, 2018.
BPS will spend 2017 developing the City of Portland Home Energy Score program, in collaboration with interested stakeholders and partners. Please bookmark this page and check back for notices of rulemaking and other program development updates.
These types of homes and sales are excluded from the Home Energy Score ruling.
- A foreclosure sale
- A trustee’s sale
- A deed-in-lieu of foreclosure
- Any pre-foreclosure sale that is less than owed on mortgage
- Builders using EPS® with Energy Trust of Oregon
*Stacked condos (side-by-side attached homes are NOT exempt)
Want more answers? Click here.
Here’s a sample of a Home Energy Score. The higher the score, the more energy efficient the home is.